Fun and easy holiday recipe to make for a party. Or for a friday night when you just want to snack on some sweet stuff.
- 2 Tbsp. organic granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zested (about 2/3 tsp. zest)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 6 Tbsp. coconut oil, refined
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Peanut Oil, for frying
- 1 cup Bee Free Honee
- 1/2 cup sprinkles of your choosing.
- 1Heat an inch and a half of peanut oil in a heavy bottom pan until 350 degrees F.
- 2Mix sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, sea salt, coconut oil, water and baking powder in a large bowl.
- 3Then add flour 1/2 a cup at a time until you have a lumpy dough.
- 4On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth. About 5 minutes.
- 5Cut dough into 10 equal pieces. Roll out the pieces into long strings, about 1/2 inch thick.
- 6Using kitchen sheers, cut string into 1/2 inches pieces. Just like you would gnocchi.
- 7I roll out the pieces to form balls then place them into the oil, but you can cut them and place them into the oil to give them a more non-traditional square shape if you want.
- 8Cook dough until golden brown (about 4 minutes), moving the dough around 2 or 3 times so they cook evenly.
- 9Place dough on a cookie rack to cool (not paper towels, they will get soggy). Make sure cookies are cooled completely before moving on to the next step or else you'll end up with crumbled cookies.
- 10Traditionally, Stuffoli is now mixed with honey. I used Bee Free Honee which you can buy on amazon or at most local natural food stores.
- 11Heat the honee in a small saucepan for 2 minutes then pour into a large bowl.
- 12Place cooled dough in large bowl and toss until the dough is coated with Bee Free Honee.
- 13Toss in sprinkles to coat, then transfer to a plate. Stacking them as high as you can.