July 30, 2017
Party Foods, Recipe, Snacks, Soy Free, Summer
bbq, Carolina bbq, mustard, potato, recipe, sweet potato, vegan
Crispy Carolina Mustard BBQ Sweet Potato Bites.
- SWEET POTATOES: 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Oil for frying, peanut or refined avocado oil
- CAROLINA MUSTARD BBQ: 1 cup yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. vegan Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1In a large bowl mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, milk, water, apple cider vinegar and salt.
- 2Heat 1/2 inch of oil in cast iron or heavy bottom skillet.
- 3In a small bowl, mix all bbq ingredients and set aside.
- 4Dip sweet potatoes, one at a time, into batter and fry until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes each side.
- 5Place fried sweet potato on baking rack lined with paper towels and let cool.
- 6Bring all BBQ sauce ingredients to a boil in a medium pot and let simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- 7In a large bowl, toss sweet potato with bbq sauce.
- 8Sprinkle with green onion and serve with bleu cheese or ranch dressing. Enjoy!