Madras Curry Potato Tostadas by Chef Denise Vallejo.
by, Chef Denise Vallejo
Tostadas can be made from whole corn tortillas (look for ones that are made with only whole ground corn and lime. Avoid the ones that have guar gum or fillers) in the oven. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Liberally oil a large baking sheet, and lay 4-6 tortillas flat on the sheet. Brush tops with oil and place another baking sheet on top to flatten so the tortilla don’t puff up during the baking process. Bake for 3-5 minutes and flip. Continue to bake for a few more mins until crispy. Set aside to cool.
You can follow Chef Denise on Instagram here: @veggiealchemy
- POTATO FILLING: 1 lb. Yukon or Russet Potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1/2 lb. carrots, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 3/4 C yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 in thumb of ginger, minced
- 1 T Madras Curry Powder (Sun brand is best)
- Splash of soy sauce or Tamari
- Splash of water (2-3 Tabelspoons)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Oil for cooking
- 6 whole corn tostadas, pre packaged or homemade
- CRISPY GARLIC TOFU: 1/2 package of firm tofu (14oz.) drained, patted dry, and cut into 6, 1/2 in thick rectangular slices
- Splash of Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- oil for cooking
- 1Add chopped potatoes and carrots to a medium pot and cover with cold water. Over medium high heat, bring water to a boil and cook potatoes and carrots until fork tender, approximately 18-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat up a tablespoon of cooking oil. Drop in the diced onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and continue cooking until aromatic. When the onions begin to caramelize, add the cooked potatoes and carrots, and mash. Add Madras Curry powder and mix well into potato and carrot, adding a splash of water as necessary so that the potato mix doesn’t dry out. Potatoes should be somewhat fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and let it sit on the lowest setting to remain warm while you prepare the tofu.
- 3Preparing the Crispy Tofu: warm a medium skillet over medium high heat, add a few tablespoons of cooking oil. When oil is sufficiently hot, add the sliced tofu. Flip tofu when the edges are crispy and brown. Add minced garlic once tofu is flipped. Pay attention to heat levels so the garlic doesn’t burn. Once both sides of the tofu are crispy and golden brown, turn off the heat and add a splash of soy sauce or tamari.
- 4Assembling the tostadas: Spread a generous layer of the potato-carrot filling on a tostada, top with a slice of crispy tofu, garnish with diced tomato, shaved cabbage, radish, and sour cream &/or hot sauce. Enjoy!