Vegan Crab Rangoon
The first day I became vegan, I ordered chinese food and got a buddha bowl and crab rangoon. I didn’t even realize I was eating crab until half way through. Transitioning into a vegan diet is a process sometimes, and a learning (or unlearning) experience. So, here’s my version of crab rangoon…
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 8oz can hearts Of palm, whole
- 1/2 tsp. old bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 6oz. vegan cream cheese, I used Kite Hill
- 6 sprigs green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 25 square wonton wrappers
- 1Strain water from can of hearts of palm. Place hearts of palm on a cutting board and shred lengthwise with a fork. Then roughly chop. Repeat for all hearts of palm.
- 2Place hearts of palm in a medium bowl, mix with old bay seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
- 3Add cream cheese, green onion, powdered sugar, hoisin sauce, sea salt & ground black pepper.
- 4Heat vegetable oil to 365 degrees F. in deep dutch oven.
- 5Place a bowl of water near your cutting board.
- 6Take 1 wonton wrapper and put 1 1/2 tsp. of hearts of palm mixture in the middle.
- 7Dip your finger in water and trace the border of the wonton. Bring all corners into the center one by one and make sure the wonton wrapper is sticking and sealed. Place on parchment paper.
- 8Repeat until all wrappers are used.
- 9Fry Rangoons for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.