Vegan Fried Chik’n Wings.
I was not paid to use any of the ingredients in this recipe. I used them because I found they were the best products for the job. Yes, even more than seitan. If you have a nut allergy, use soy milk instead of the almond milk and vegetable oil instead of the peanut oil. If you have a gluten allergy, use gluten free flour instead of the all-purpose white flour. If you have a soy allergy, use cauliflower or mushrooms instead of the Gardein. All of these things can be subbed, however the recipe is the way it is for a reason. I’ve tried all of these combos and the best version is the one below. So if you are allergy free and have access to the ingredients below I highly recommend using the recipe as is.
*SAUCE: The wings are great on their own to dip or you can toss them in your own buffalo, bbq, or whatever you’re favorite wing sauce is.
**If you don’t have access to vegan egg you can skip the egg and dip it back in the buttermilk, then back in flour. It won’t have the same texture as with the vegan egg, but it will still be crispy and delicious.
***You can make your own poultry seasoning by grinding together equal parts dried sage, dried rosemary, dried thyme, to half ground black pepper and half nutmeg.
You can watch the video for this recipe HERE.
- Preparation Time: 00:15
- Cook Time: 00:15
- Peanut Oil for frying
- 2 cups almond milk (I used So Delicious Organic Unsweetened Almondmilk with Cashew)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- 1 cup very cold water
- 1 Package Gardein Chik'n Scallopini(4 cutlets)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt (+ 1 tsp. for finishing)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1In a heavy bottom pot, heat about two inches of peanut oil to 365 degrees F. Alternatively, if you have a deep fryer then use that.
- 2Take Gardein out of the freezer while you prep to defrost the cutlets so they're easier to cut. Do not let them defrost all the way.
- 3Set up 3 medium-large bowls. In the first bowl, whisk together almond milk and apple cider vinegar. This makes the "buttermilk" for the recipe.
- 4In the second bowl, whisk together vegan egg and water. Whisk until smooth.
- 5In the third bowl, combine flour, paprika, poultry seasoning, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper.
- 6Cut the Gardein Scallopini into 4 pieces, making the wings shape.
- 7Coat a wing in buttermilk, then in flour, then in the vegan egg, then back in the flour. Press flour into wing to coat then shake off access flour. This will create the crispy crunchy outside.
- 8Place wing in peanut oil and fry for about 4 minutes (until golden brown), turning half way. Repeat with each wing. Make sure you aren't crowding the wings on top of each other. Do it in batches if you have to.
- 9Once golden brown, place them on a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath the catch the oil. DO NOT put paper towels directly underneath them. This will make them soggy. Sprinkle with sea salt while they're hot.
- 10Have a favorite wing sauce recipe? This is the time to toss them in it. Enjoy!